Wednesday, 7 April 2010

And now for something completely different....

I've no idea how it came about really.  I went into the bead store to get a clasp fixed and came out having booked a few one-to one basic jewellery-making classes.

It's not like I don't have the time!

But it's not as if I really wear jewellery with all my allergies and sensitivities.  Every day I put on the same earrings (pearl studs - a leaving present from the girls I worked with at Salvesen's way back in the '90's) .. probably because they go with everything and they never make it as far as my jewellery box.  I never do dressed up - so I generally don't co-ordinate with necklaces and bracelets.

Do I even know how to?  I'll get back to you on that one.

And my rings have stayed firmly in their boxes after the jeweller re-set the stones and told me how fragile they now are.  (Hint: I obviously need diamonds .. after all, they're a girl's best friend and apparently could survive anything I could throw at them!).

I'm really not a jewellery person.

But, as I may have mentioned, I have lots of time and I seem to like making stuff.  It's a new side to me - so maybe there's hope that I'll become a jewellery-wearing type sometime soon too!

So, what have I learned?


Basic beading - stringing beads really isn't rocket science.  But attaching the clasps is fiddly and requires better eyesight than mine.  I had to bring my glasses out of retirement - I haven't worn them in four or five years, but I definitely need them for this!  I know now all about crimps and wire guardians and things and have this Swarovski crystal bracelet to prove it:




Basic earrings - this was all about making loops.  The simple loop is not so simple and I decided I preferred the wrapped loop.  Apparently more difficult, it was the only one I could make relatively consistently and consistency was what was required.  Having made a mess of loads of headpins, I was allowed to make some earrings:



The black onyx earrings stand a chance of being worn ... the dangly silver things and the dragonflies might become presents at some point in the future.

So then I was let loose at home.  I raided A's tool cabinet for pliers and wire cutters and started making a few presents for upcoming birthdays.  As they used to say on Blue Peter ... and here's one I made earlier:

This sparkly necklace / bracelet set in purple and pink crystals is for my soon to be 8 year old niece:




And this necklace / earrings set in African Turquoise with burgundy crystals is for a very good friend:




As luck would have it, there are some turquoise stones left over.....

So I guess I shall have to make some things for myself.  The trick will be making something that goes with some of my 'outfits' (if I have such things) and the difficult bit will be remembering to wear them.  I need to work on that!

Anyway, what do you think?!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, very swanky! I know what you mean about pearl studs, since they're all I wear too... perhaps this signifies a genetic lack of imagination? I'm allergic to nickel so unless you have gold clasps and findings you may not be able to make anything for me! Darn. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara - I'm also allergic .. what was that about genetics?!! I do sterling silver though!!

    ReplyDelete