Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Presents

Yesterday was my sister-in-law's birthday so I can now show you the necklace and earrings I made for her.   This was actually the first set I made using sodalite and black onyx and I really liked how it turned out.



When we were in Vancouver last week we went to Granville Island and, browsing amongst the craft stalls, I found a lovely pendant which I bought as a present for myself.  I've got a weakness for Murano glass anyway - I already have very different two pendants from Murano - and this is in a typical Italian style: millefiore.  I've only ever seen this style of glass-making either in Italy or, more surprisingly, in Caithness, Scotland.  Not sure if Caithness Glass still produces millefiore paperweights ... but I remember them from a visit there as a child in the 1970's.

So, here's my necklace:



I just need to sort the clasp out (it has the tiniest lobster claw I've ever seen!) and then I'll have a very wearable necklace that goes with a lot of my wardrobe (turquoises and reds).

I've got a few projects underway at the moment - the sweater that I'm knitting is a longer term project - but I'm also working on some summer birthday presents.  

Watch this space!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, I'm sure your sister-in-law loved it. I tried to link to your other blog but it wouldn't work. I think it needs to be http://www.fiona and then carry on from there. That worked when I tried it.
    Caithness Glass at Crieff closed down a couple of years ago though there may still be another workshop somewhere else in Scotland. My friend's family are from Crieff and a few of her aunts worked at Caithness Glass, making paper weights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know about the link, Fiona. Such a shame about Caithness Glass, but I guess with the economy as it is this is happening frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo - I bet she was delighted with that. Gorgeous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete