Tuesday, 8 June 2010

A Quick Clutch Bag

As if I don't have enough on my To Do list before I head to Europe on Thursday, I decided I needed to whip up another clutch bag for my trip.  My others aren't very summer-y and I decided to rectify that with a bright polka dot....


This pattern isn't the easiest in my repertoire - so whipping it up actually took a good 6 or 7 hours over  a few days - but I love the size.  It just fits my essentials and works well in my camera bag or on its own when I'm out on the town.  The fabric is a sturdy cotton duck which I generally prefer to quilting cottons for my bags and it's lined with some fabric left over from my green blouse (not sure if I've shown you all this one - it's basically a lime green blouse - a bit bright; just the way I like them - but really hard to take a decent photo of!).

Now that that's out of the way and I've selected (and wrapped - with difficulty due to the weird shapes) some handmade goodies to take with me for my friends in Munich - I can concentrate on the washing and ironing (yawn!).  Never quite sure how people pack their suitcases way in advance of their travels - with me it happens just before I leave for the airport and usually I just hand piles of folded clothes to my packer. Unfortunately as he's currently in Brazil, I'm going to have to do the packing myself.  The really important stuff has however been taken care of - my camera gear is stowed in its bag with fully charged batteries, plenty of memory cards (I go through them at quite a rate) and all the cables and gubbins I'll need to feed my photography habit addiction for a few weeks.

Talking of which (habits, that is), I'm also taking a sewing project for my friend's kids.  She suggested that it might be a good way to introduce them to the sewing machine (I sense an ulterior motive - getting them to mend their own clothes!). Purl Bee to the rescue with these delightful frog bean bags - OK, lots of curves, but we'll practice first and I may draw the stitch line on the fabric for them in water-soluble marker pen.  I've got a choice of fabrics (off-cuts from other projects); the relevant threads and some lovely beads for the eyes.  The kids may or may not want to do this - we'll see!  

I'm also taking my crochet project - I'm 2 rounds in and thinking about changing hook size - but I'll have that figured out by the time I leave (fingers crossed).  The idea is that it's more portable than some knitting.  I'm making the granny shrug up in a denim blue cotton yarn, using two strands together as I couldn't find any chunk yarn that I liked and could wear (my wool allergy scuppered most of the more interesting choices).  

That's about all folks.  More from me on this blog when I get back in a few weeks' time!!  You never know - I may have a finished granny shrug to show you by then!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely little clutch, Fiona. And I love those frog bean bags. You could then get the kids to decorate some paper plates or terracotta plant pot saucers (see here http://www.chicaandjo.com/2009/06/25/make-a-bean-bag-toss-game/) and make a game of it. And there's always tote-bags from pillowcases - they're pretty easy to sew with kids. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete