Thursday, 30 September 2010

My Creative Space


A Slouch Bag

OK - so I'm not totally sold on this one .... yet!  I love the pattern / shape of the bag and I love the main fabric, but I did a couple of things that I now regret.  

The first I will fix as soon as I find a better fabric for the strap - I'd really like to find some chocolate brown canvas, but the patterned fabric I used here really doesn't work (even A thought so and commented and it isn't like him to have much of an opinion on these things).  

The second one isn't fixable, but I can live with that ... I used fusible fleece because the main fabric wasn't my normal cotton duck and therefore wasn't as sturdy - now I wish I hadn't added it in; I think it spoils the slouchy shape slightly.

Never mind - you can't get it right all the time (at least not in my world!) and sometimes you just have to try things out.




I was given several crafty books for my birthday last weekend - this one seems to have a lot of good tips about bag construction plus some patterns to try at some point in the future.  I've only had a quick flick through so far and have an overwhelming impression of some very big bags in which I would inevitably be searching around for what I need amongst too much 'stuff' for a very long time!!

Head on over to Kirsty's blog to see what everyone else is making

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Fiona - she was!! Your bag looks great. You will have to do a few book reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, that looks like a great book! will have to keep an eye out for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag looks fine! Can't tell about the strap from here.
    About the stuff you used inside - with use it will soften & slouch as you want it to so don't worry about that! I have used many diff things on inside bags now to experiment & they don't take long to get softer...
    Thanks for visiting me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crafty books make the best birthday gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's any consolation, the bag looks great from here :). I know it's frustrating to not have it turn out as you like, but at least now you know what your preferred materials will be next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Fiona!

    I think the bag looks fantastic! Honestly, I do - I wish I had half the patience to sit and make my own bags! Your birthday book looks good, Im sure you'll find plenty of inspiration in there!
    Thanks for visiting my wee blog today, it was lovely of you to stop by - and on the cushion front, yes yes we all need cushions!! make them in man coloured tones, your other half will perhaps (hopefully) never notice!!

    Much love
    Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bag! and the pattern is great! I wish I know how to sew:) Thank you for ur visit and ur nice comment on my blog~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab! happy birthday!!! I have that book on my birthday wish list. I like the print on this bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the bag looks very good and the black and white makes it look so elegant.

    ReplyDelete