Thursday, 7 October 2010

I think I'm turning Japanese....


  

I tried making kanzashi with very mixed results last year (see the photo at the bottom of this post) but I recently found a great book in the library and thought I'd give it another go.  I definitely need practice - but this was a great improvement and it helped that the instructions this time were in English!

Then I was given this lovely book for my birthday ... more Japanese-inspired things to add to my To Make list.


I've been toying with the idea of making temari for a while and there are also some lovely wee dolls in here that don't look too difficult.  There are however some extremely ornate and intricate projects in this beautiful book that I may only dream about making!


7 comments:

  1. Just jump right in and go for the extremely ornate ones and to borrow a friend's quote -

    'If at first you succeed try not to look too surprised.' ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is Kanzashi/Kazashi a bit like origami but in fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about trying kanzashi too .. not found the time yet! Your wee flower looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower looks awesome! Love that button, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona .... Loved the flower ... Is it possible to make one like a botton ? To use ia jeans jacket ? Will be wonderful !
    Kisses ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fiona...we have a friend in common (Carol) and she told me about your hand made things. Everything is so cute!!! I paint some things and just started in the sewing world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol - you can make much smaller kanzashi but it takes a lot of practice. I've seen them as earrings or rings - so it is possible to make something button-sized.

    ReplyDelete