Thursday, 18 November 2010

My Creative Space: Kumihimo


My sweater hasn't made much (read: any) progress this week, but I have been trying out my new marudai and doing some sewing.

Setting up the marudai for braiding took absolutely ages - who'd have thought winding some bobbins could be so complicated?!  Getting the traditional japanese knots right proved to be quite tricky.  Got there in the end and made a flat braid ....


Work in progress

Working on the marudai is really different to using the braiding disk I had before...   This braid was just a test to sort out how it all worked using some cheap yarn from my stash.  Lots of learning and things to do differently next time!

The sewing machine has also been set up again and I've got some more purses on the go, but the light has gone now, so no photos!

For more creative spaces, visit Kirsty's blog.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks fabulous! Is the principle the same as french knitting? I'm guessing not - very intriguing. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. Very interesting. I'm looking fwd to seeing all the things you will create. I think its quite a visually pleasing structure as well - easy to leave it out on the table without feeling it has to be packed away : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool little contraption!! I thought it was some sort of game at first lol :-) The braid looks very nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awfully complicated but super interesting. Looking forward to following your progress with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woh - never seen anything remotely like this before!! Thanks for sharing - looks like something Batman might tie the Riddler up on when he catches him...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, very nice - I don't think I have the right kind of patience for this type of thing. It looks like it needs just the right tension to eliminate bulges or tight bits. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Fiona! This looks very interesting! I found lots of wonderful bags and pouches from your blog! See you soon again!
    Best Wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by this one. I may have to google 'marudai' and find out more. Maybe a wee tutorial...?
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree, it looks so simple yet complicated. hadn't heard of "marudai" before... intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete