Friday, 31 December 2010

2010 Review


It's been a busy year!  This time last year I'd only just started sewing again after a 20-year break and had made just a handful of things.

2010 was very different.  
  • By my reckoning I've tried at least 15 new purse / bag patterns (some of them many times over - I've had more requests for the 200mm purse frame above than anything else I've made) - in total I've made 40 bags or purses of all descriptions.
  • I started knitting again - hadn't done that in about 20 years either!!
  • I learned to crochet - there was a lot of swearing involved, but I got there in the end and even managed to make some clothes!! I even think I prefer crochet to knitting now!
  • I learned japanese braiding (kumihimo) and plan to do much more next year.
  • I took some jewellery-making classes and now can make basic bracelets, necklaces and earrings.  Maybe not my forte ... but it was useful to to learn some of the techniques.
  • The fabric stash has expanded quite dramatically - even A has noticed!!  And my library of craft books is also growing.  
Not quite sure what I ought to learn in 2011 ... any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Go YOU!!!

    How about felting..? I'm still dabdling around the edges with that one (it always gets hijacked by a small child wanting to join in.... so I teach her and hope that one day we'll be able to work together on more exciting felty projects).

    Happy new year to you, Fiona - and many more crafty hours and lots of laughs in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona, I really appreciate your on-the-spot reports, they make me feel so much more connected to your part of the world. I noticed your follower thingy came up this time so I am your newest signed on follower! I just read your list and am very envious of your ability to sew bags...I am a bit timid on that account even though I would love to. I feel the same way about knitting/crocheting too...have knitted since childhood but now love crocheting more! Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... lots of answers spring to mind but I guess you were looking for craft-related suggestions! I wondered about resurrecting your embroidery skills? The blackwork sampler you did was lovely and I can imagine emroidered embellishments on some of your other crafty things. Or quilting for that matter - think of all your yummy fabric scraps turned into something! Just a thought. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fiona...thanks for the info on bag making..I'll pop over to her site today and check it out. I love some of the hand made bags that are around at the moment. Cheers for the New Year! My hope for you is that you will have a productive and fun year this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little purse! 40 bags in one year is amazing. Thanks for linking up all your purses and clutches, Fiona. I'm in awe of your work!!! I really must get out my 'You Sew Girl' book and make something, instead of just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete