Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Colour Me Happy!


I'm crocheting a rainbow!!

OK - seriously now ... having never crocheted a proper granny square and having many times expressed complete amazement and awe that anyone actually crochets thousands of them to make a blanket (all those ends to sew in - please!), I signed up for a very worthy cause: Crochet a Rainbow.

I'm making granny squares for blankets to go to those who lost their homes in the recent floods in Queensland, Australia.  I would have contributed to Carol's cushion appeal too but with moving looming ever closer that didn't seem all that practical!  I've been able to crochet in between other jobs - it's the sort of thing you can easily pick up and put down.


I'm not 100% convinced by all my colour combos, but it's a learning experience!!  My time for crocheting a square and sewing in all those ends has dropped to about 30 minutes a square and I can crochet quite happily in front of the telly or - more often - while listening to some company's hold music / automated system while changing my address details or cancelling a utility.

So far I've made 20+ grannies ... guess I'll continue till I've used the yarn up, which shouldn't be long now.

I don't see a granny blanket in my future, but I do quite fancy making a ripple blanket like this one.  Less frequent colour changes and fewer ends to sew in are pluses in my book!

For more creative spaces, visit Kirsty.

For those of you looking for my finished crochet necklace ....the procrastinator in me is working really hard.  I might get round to it before we move, but let's be honest - that's highly unlikely!  Only about a week to go now!!

19 comments:

  1. I think the colour choices are just lovely - happy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona! GREAT JOB! I have crocheted a few grannies then quit. And I have a LOT of ends to sew in on a LOT of stuff! And,when you figure out the procastination thing...lemme' know! I'm bad at finishing stuff.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, they are some great square with lovely colour combos and I'm sure they will be much loved. You're good sewing in your ends after each square. I tend to make and make and make and leave the sewing in till last, and not enjoying that bit much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! and I love your colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colour choices look great! i'm sure sarah will be able to pair them up with other squares to make amazing blankets!
    keep up the good work!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's looking wonderful Fiona, and the colour combos are great.
    I don't think there is a such a thing as a bad colour combo in a granny, everything just works x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and very rainbow like. I'm loving how they are all identical in size and shape too which I am sure is a requirement but I've never seen them that uniform before. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is a great idea to sew in the ends as you go...I did it all at the end but it was a big job and I got so tired of it. A little bit of end-sewing as you go is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colorful and awesome. Great that you are thinking of others while you are getting ready to move. Hate moving! So much to do only to unpack it all again at the other end. Oh well, it gives you a chance to go through all your stuff and sort out what you want ot keep and what you want to chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your grannys and the colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely squares, wonderful colours and a very worthy cause, Fiona. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like all the colours you chose.Sewing in ends as soon as you finish a square is a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Fiona! Your grannies are beautiful! I love the colors you have chosen!
    Have a lovely time!
    Thank you for your always so sweet comments on my blog! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy and cheerful colour Fee... they look really beautiful...
    Hope you spare a little bit of your valuable time for me …
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure you will end up with a granny blanket of your own one day. It's just one of those things that you have to have. You will be soo sad when you send this one off that you will just have to sit down in your new house and start another one..
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your grannies Fiona :) You have to make a granny square blanket in the future as I am sure it will turn out beautiful!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and linking here to my Ole Ole blanket:)
    Good luck for your "move" ... hope everything will go well for you as for me hehe
    Have a great we,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them all stacked up! I'd love to have a granny blanket and keep thinking I ought to start one as a background project, but I'm worried about picking colors--not my strong suit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Fiona for your lovely comment! I hope to bring you the spring earlier with my photos!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love 'em! For some reason I am happy putting together colour combinations in granny squares that I would dream of using in knitting! :D

    ReplyDelete