Saturday, 5 February 2011

My New Work Bag


Ta da!


Last sewing project before the big move finished.  


My new work bag.


I used Nicole Mallalieu's Mod Bag pattern, this time with just one strap, a flap and magnetic snap closures. The fabric is lovely, but it was a bit of a battle getting interfacing to fuse to it and ironing seams flat proved impossible (top stitching was the answer) ... now I know why it was 70% off!!

The last mod bag I made used quite stiff material with heavy interfacing and fusible fleece.  This fabric has more drape - it can hold it's own shape, but when you hang it on your shoulder the fabric folds nicely.  I went with medium weight interfacing and fleece this time and I think I prefer the result.

It's probably the biggest bag I own, but experience tells me that I'm going to need lots of space for all the stuff that I end up carting from one appointment to the other - non-permanent white board markers are the thing that stick in my mind.  Never can you have too many as a teacher ... and you can never find them when you need them!!

I'm hoping that this is practical and smart - at least that's what I was aiming for! What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. Oooo - I love it!! It's gorgeous, Fiona. Perfect for work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! That's one of Nikki's patterns I haven't tried yet - might have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Fiona. I haven't been on here since Christmas and have just been catching up with your news. You must be looking forward to moving back to Germany. Going back to teaching? How are you going to fit in all your crafting? Hope the move goes really smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most definitely practical and smart, and a great colour to match any outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear that you squeezed another one in before you had to pack!!! All the best with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good, Fiona! I looked up the pattern and was wondering how you would go with the fiddly 'belt' around the bag in that fabric but I see you've gone down a different route and it looks great. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! Great fabric for that design. What are you going to be teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Fiona! Your new bag is really great! It looks very practical and I love the grafic colours! You are in my thoughts with the moving!
    Have a lovely week! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the bag looks great. I carry big bags and I like them. You can just throw everything in them and keep your hands free. Just make sure you don't get them too heavy - they'll cause that old lady shoulder indent when you get older!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Mod Bag looks fantastic, I love the fabric, it suits the 'Mod' tag brilliantly!

    Are you getting excited about the move?

    xxh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is a post from a few weeks ago, but I just LOVE this bag so much. I haven't come across Nicole Mallalieu's designs before, but they look like the kind of thing I could happily spend most of my salary on ;)

    It really does look awesome - practical, smart and funky, all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very smart bag, Fiona and one you could 'wear' with lots of different outfits. I like the D rings on the strap. I'm not sure why, but it seems to dress it up.

    ReplyDelete