Tuesday, 8 March 2011

A Birthday Present




This is a bucket bag from Lisa Lam's book The Bag Making Bible which I got last year.  I see this more as a shopping bag than a handbag - it's quite large and would be ideal for a small shopping trip.

I adapted the pattern slightly.  It was supposed to be reversible but I didn't like the idea of having a button closure on a safety pin which you changed over to whichever side you wanted.  Seemed a bit makeshift!  I went with a magnetic snap instead and added a small interior pocket for shopping lists etc...

This was a present for a family birthday yesterday ... I've been sitting on this post for quite a while now having made the bag and posted it at the end of January so that it didn't get packed in the sea container by mistake!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona! I hope you are fine after moving!
    That is wonderful bag! It looks so good size, practical and the fabrics are perfect! Magnet is great to close the bag.
    Thank you for your always sweet comments! xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag..funny that we should both have birthday present posts today! I have eyed off that book for a while..is it worth it? Does it have patterns with the book? Good pictures? Good advice? Sorry about all the questions...just need to know before I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent bag - great shape and colours. Very clever! Thanks for the book tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just made one of these, and like you, I made it non-reversible. I love your fabric choices - it looks so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would make a perfect shopping bag, again with a great colour combination. I don't think I'd be keen on the safety pin idea, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fiona, I've featured your Bucket Bag today...
    Ten Fabulous Totes

    ReplyDelete