Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Marina Bag


As I can't sew anything for a few more weeks, I thought I'd try my hand at a crochet bag.  

This is slow going - thin yarn that likes to split and a relatively small hook.  The instructions say to crochet tightly too .. not my strong point, but I'm trying to get it right!  The other reason it's slow is because I had some problems reading the pattern, so there's been some unravelling along the way!  I think I've got it all sorted out now and it's slowly taking shape.


It's going to be smaller than I thought - the base is a mere 7 inches across.  It should be larger, but my yarn is quite fine - I think I'd add some stitches to the starting chain next time to scale it up slightly; or I guess I could try thicker yarn!

I quite like it, but it's more child size than an adult's bag, so this may become a present down the line.

Got to finish it first!!

6 comments:

  1. It sure looks good so far. That yarn looks so fine. Lovely colour tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the intense colour, the pattern looks very interesting..I think it will be a pretty bag when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment disappeared..I hope you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on to the best bit now. I always find the base is the tricky bit and mine often looks a wee bit wonky along the way. Seven inches isn't that small for a bag. You just have to be a bit selective in what you put in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's what you were working on when I Skyped you! It looked intriguing. I'm battling on with the shell pattern - think I might switch to a "straight" yarn while I get my head around the instructions and then go back to the irregular stuff once I'm got it right! Thanks for the email. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks good. Love the colour and the design. Thanks for sharing the inspirational photos and drop by me too, soon.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete