Thursday, 17 March 2011

My Creative Space: Crochet


I've been teaching myself to crochet shells!! 

I photocopied a lovely pattern from one of my crochet books and brought it with me along with some wool and the right sized hook.  Then I realised I had absolutely no idea what double treble stitch was and of course the book that tells me is somewhere mid-Atlantic - doh!  I had to wait for a day with a decent internet connection (quite rare in this apartment) to find an online tutorial and then I could start.

I'm not going to show you what this is going to become ... because it's probably a present and I don't want to spoil the surprise.  Besides, I think it will look very different when it has been blocked and I can't block it until we move again in April! 


I've also been making a few more granny squares for Sarah's Crochet a Rainbow appeal.

And I may even get round to finishing the red crochet necklace I started about a month ago!  The trouble is that the hook is tiny, my eyesight isn't that good and the light in the apartment is awful ... so this project keeps slipping down the list!

I've got some different yarns and patterns to keep me going for the next 3 weeks till we move into our new house ... and lots of stuff to organise for the house too, a car to buy....  

We're getting there ... slowly but surely!

For other creative spaces, take a look at Kirsty's blog.

6 comments:

  1. That's an interesting picture of your crocheting..beautiful blue wool. I love the colours you've used for your squares too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue wool. Can't wait to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fiona, I was about to tell you that you should have just asked me about double treble then realised how stupid that was since you didn't have an internet connection ... doh !! Great word of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo I like the look of the shell work. I think I may have to give that one a go myself.

    Which book did you get the pattern from?

    p.s hope you are settling in well?

    xxh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heidi - it's from the Happy Hooker which was my first introduction to crochet. I'm trying to make something from each craft book that I own this year (before I buy any more - well, maybe!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have to double check whether the instructions are UK or USA as that has caught me out before now. :D

    ReplyDelete