Thursday, 31 March 2011

My Creative Space .... Not Much Happening Here!


Having finished most of the projects I brought with me to keep me occupied till we move, I've been playing around with some left-over yarn.  There are so many different tutorials on making these japanese flowers, but I used Elizabeth Cat's.  

I like it and it could decorate the bag I showed you last week:


Just pinned on right now - I'm not 100% sure yet!!  I will be adding a lining to this bag after all of your advice last week to stop the bag stretching out of shape.  This is going to be a birthday present for my soon to be 9-year-old niece (how time flies!).  

Is the flower too much?

The one unfinished project in my bag is the crochet necklace I started back in Canada.  For such a small project, it's given me some headaches!  Last night I decided to have another go and started again from scratch.  I thought it had gone quite well, but in the light of day there are a few mistakes and some problems because of twisting:


And it's really hard to photograph clearly in this light!!  It should look like this one on Ravelry!!  

I am fast coming to the conclusion that I have neither the patience nor the eyesight for fiddly crochet on tiny hooks ... so don't be expecting any intricate, lacy doilies from me anytime soon (or, indeed, ever!).  I can hear my husband breathing a sigh of relief on that score!!

Doubt if there'll be time for any crafting this next week - we get the house keys this weekend and our container full of our belongings will arrive on Monday - yippee!!

Go and have a look at other creative spaces over on Kirsty's blog.

9 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet flower and I love it on the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making the shawl with these flowers, this week :)
    Love the colours you have used for it.
    The crochet necklace is coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the bag looked great plain..but the flower really looks amazing..especially for a nine year old..beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they just the fastest flowers to crochet? And, they always turn out good.

    Renee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bags are lovely too! Yeah I wasn't sure whether to add flowers or not. It does look good on yours. I am actually just attempting to use fine cotton on a crochet project. It is the first time and yes not sure if I have the patience or eyesight for it to continue either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next you are going to have to try crocheting wire. It's not as tricky as you might think.
    A wee suggestion for you... I've got a pattern which uses a flower to decorate a hat, but instead of sewing it on you put a button on the back of the flower and button it on where ever you fancy. If the eyelets in your bag are a suitable size it might work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Fiona! I love that flower and the colour! I think it's perfect for the bag! 'Buy Design' has great idea to put it with a button so you can change it easily! Thanks for her!
    You are going to have very exiting week ahead!
    Lots of wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. No your flower isn't too much - it's perfect! Your choice of colours gives the bag a lovely retro feel. Your niece is going to love it :-D

    xh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the flower addition. Unfortunately I see what you mean about the necklace when it's compared to it's Ravelry counterpart. ;P

    ReplyDelete