Sunday, 27 March 2011

Sunny Frankfurt!


I've been making the most of my last 10 days in the city - wandering about in the sunshine with my camera.  Above a view east from der Eiserne Steg - an old steel footbridge across the river Main.


From the same bridge looking towards Frankfurt's business district. Frankfurt is Germany's financial centre - the stock exchange is here and many banks have their headquarters here too in the tower blocks above.


Der eiserne Steg; according to Wikipedia it was built in 1868 and was called an iron (Eisen) bridge even though it was made of steel!! This isn't the original bridge - that was blown up by the German army along with many other bridges to hinder the Allies' advance in the last days of WWII.  It's quite nice to know it isn't something we bombed for a change!!  It was rebuilt in 1946 and then again in 1993 due to corrosion.


This is the Alte Oper (old opera house).  It really isn't as old as it looks - this building dates from 1981 and is a reconstruction of the original Alte Oper which opened in 1880 and was destroyed during an Allied air raid in 1944. This is no longer the home of Frankfurt's opera company, but is a venue for all sorts of concerts and has a very handy car park underneath.

That concludes my tour of Frankfurt!!  We're moving out to the Taunus - the hilly area to the north west of the city - next weekend.  Life is going to become much quieter, with country walks for the dog and mountain biking for Andy.  We'll be out of our cramped, noisy apartment and living somewhere that feels much more like us and I'll be able to unpack my sewing machine at last!!  I've enjoyed the crochet, but it's time for a change!!

5 comments:

  1. So much history!
    Thanks for the comments on my Spring Garlands. Lucy at Attic24 has taken down her links due to copyright issues, but Elizabeth Cat still has her version up at:
    http://byelizabethcat.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-make-my-japanese-flowers-like-this.html

    Renee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved your photos of the city of Frankfurt and am looking forward to seeing the surrounding countryside now! You've done well with your crochet too...what did you decide to do with the turquoise bag? Did you embellish it or leave it plain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Fiona,
    I hope your move was well :) and I hope you'll enjoy countryside too...
    You are welcome any time to Lebanon for a visit :)
    Have a beautiful evening,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Fiona, for a wonderful walk! I wish you good luck and sunny weather for your moving! xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! What a beautiful city it is! I'd love to visit there some time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete