Sunday, 5 June 2011

My New Laptop Bag


Excuse the quality of the photos ... I'm at the highest ISO setting possible on my camera (6400!!!), so they're a little grainy (OK - a lot!), but this has been a real labour of love and, despite the black skies and rumbling thunder, I wanted to take some photos to share with you!!  

Love those 20mm bag feet - thanks Ady for helping me out there with my stock issue!!


Meet my new laptop bag!  I struggled with this one .... there were very nearly tears over the bias binding.  It was stitched, unpicked, stitched and unpicked again and again until I decided to start over and hand stitch it.


And my sewing machine wasn't too happy with all those layers of very heavy fabric and wadding .. and it let me know about it.  Just thinking I should have pressed this again before taking a photo - oh well!  

The lining is from a gorgeous Kokka fabric and includes a pleated pocket with flap plus a compartment pocket.


My laptop fits in it really nicely plus some lesson plans and stuff - so it's ready to go to work with me tomorrow.  

But I will be making a laptop sleeve from the same pattern (Nicole Mallalieu's, of course) and that lovely black & white fabric for my iPad.  The black plastic thing that I inherited with the iPad (from my husband) really isn't doing much for me!  
The thing is - that means more bias binding - arghhhh!!!

Anyway, do you like it?

20 comments:

  1. OOOh thats lovely. I love the red with the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb! The photos are great on my computer. The colours you used are just so fabulous for this bag..you've done a great job. I love it! I really like the little studs you put on the bottom too..very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it.... and beieve me - the more binding you do, the easier it gets. Keep practising the machine-sewing (perhaps on smaller things)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! What a fantastic colour combo.
    I can't stnad those horrible free bags that are included with things - ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your bag turned out great! I love the fabrics you've chosen! Bias binding is tough for me, too...there have been more than a few tears (and curse words) the last time I worked with the stuff!
    Have a great week...hope the skies turn sunny!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for your comment on my blog. you did a great job with your bag. i don't envy the bias binding task!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic bag thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bag. Bias will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. its fantastic, well done. Be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another droolable over bag. I so need to make some sort of bag soon - I'm always so envious of yours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have an award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done a fantastic job Fiona, wow I bet their would definitely been tears from me trying to do that bias, I'm not very good at it at all. Enjoy your new bag:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Fiona! That is fantastic bag with feet and every detail! I love also the fabrics you have used - I think they are perfect for a computer bag! Great work!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful bag! Love your craftmanship and the fabrics go so well together. The feet sits just right...I want some of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I do like it, Fiona! Black and white with red is a fabulous colour combination. The bag looks very professional with the feet and padded shoulder strap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Fiona, I've featured your laptop bag today...
    Ten Fabulous Totes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great bag! I've added it to our Bag Brag Tuesday Linking party! :)
    Christine
    ChrisW Designs

    ReplyDelete