Thursday, 20 October 2011

My Creative Space ... Swatching


In a rare moment of caution I'm making a swatch!  

Not for gauge but to ensure I've understood the pattern before I dive in with the expensive alpaca / silk lace yarn which uses an unfeasibly small hook. I don't want to be trying to decide if I've got the instructions right when I can barely see the individual stitches.   If I were being honest here I might admit that I did start with the expensive yarn and couldn't work out if I was doing it correctly which is when it occurred to me to make the swatch!!


I'm also trying to decide what to do with an unexpected gift ... tenugui are supposed to be hand towels, but frankly I think that would be a waste for such lovely woodpeckers.  All suggestions welcome!

And while we're on the subject of trying to make up my mind I have some more gorgeous Japanese fabric bought on my last trip to the UK which is destined to be a skirt ... but I can't quite decide whether to go A-line or try to make my own pattern from a skirt I already own and love (vaguely A-line but not as much as the green one I made a few months ago).  

Decisions, decisions!  Maybe I'll just go back to my crochet and mull it over!

Lots of fabulous crafty people are joining in today at Our Creative Spaces.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Fiona, your crochet looks beautiful and you had a great idea to make first swatch and then with the thinner yarn! Woodpeckers - wow fantastic fabric - you can do what ever with that but what about bag. Those colours say to ma bag. If you feel it's too thin, add wadding and stitching!
    Your new cover for iron board is lovely! I have made on my own too and it's quite easy (still also for me it took few years).
    Enjoy your handsewing with hexagons!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your swatch is looking lovely. Beautiful colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sheen of that yarn made up is beautiful Fiona. I am sure you will do a great job of the real thing. I have no thoughts about the woodpecker fabric but know you'll think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never entirely mastered the idea of swatching. Not because I don't think it's a good plan, but because I tend to find that my gauge changes when I come to the actual piece! I hadn't thought of doing it to master the pattern - that's a really good idea :)

    I think I'd probably make the fabric into a bag lining. It's the kind of thing that would make me smile every time I opened the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Looks like you need a yarn bag to me!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. The swatch looks great - are you happy with it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a City Bag like this one, using your woodpecker fabric? http://liamsolomonsmummy.blogspot.com/2011/10/wren-city.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it is going to be something pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fiona..your Pay It Forward parcel has been posted by Mr W this morning! I hope it arrives next week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crochet is so pretty. Can't wait to see the final work in red. I love the tenugui! Great print and yes ..... most definitely a bag! Is the tenugui a generous cut of fabric? I must ask friends going to Japan to look for nice tenuguis for me.

    ReplyDelete