Monday, 3 October 2011

Postcard from Venice



Piazza San Marco from the water ... the blue advertising on the right is disguising the restoration work to the Bridge of Sighs.




The Basilica is very ornate even on the outside.  Sadly photos weren't permitted inside!


There were gondolas everywhere ... but early in the morning they're moored up around town.  We didn't do the gondola ride - one cliché
 too many!


But plenty of people do.


Stunning architecture - this is Casa d'Oro.


Splendid views down the canals - this is looking from the Accademia bridge down towards Salute.  That huge church isn't the Basilica .. Piazza San Marco is round the corner in the distance to the left!  And you can just see one of the many huge cruise ships heading out of the lagoon in the distance!


San Giorgio Maggiore ... one of the many islands in the lagoon; this one is opposite Piazza San Marco.  Photo taken from the top of the Campanile.


Just a taster of Venice from the 500 photos I took in just a few days last week!!  We had a great time - fantastic food, wine and sight-seeing.  Very relaxing indeed!!  

It was even relatively easy to eat gluten-free there which surprised me - all the waiters I spoke to (in English) understood the demands of a gluten-free diet and several restaurants provided gluten-free pasta on request (clearly stated on the menu), plus you could take your own for them to cook if you fancy carting bags of pasta around when you're sight-seeing!  It made a refreshing change and I never needed the Italian travel card that I printed out from celiactravel.com

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! I soooo want to visit Venice one day! What an awesome trip! Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous Fiona. I would have gone for the gondola ride though. There's nothing like cliched means of transport to complete a holiday. We did feel a bit like tourists on the Fiaka ( that may not be how to spell the horse drawn carriages in Vienna)But I couldn't not do it.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm turning a vivid shade of green-eyed-monster....

    Loverly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how did I miss this stunning post! You've gone on holiday! (translate-vacation) I am in awe. My Sister and I have been talking about going to Italy next year. I do not have one stamp in my passport. Not one. I can't wait to see all 500 pictures!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. wundervolle Fotos
    dankeschön!!

    lieben Gruß zu Dir von Traudi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am suitably jealous of your lovely trip Fiona. Judging by your beautiful photos you had lovely weather to enjoy this amazing city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos

    I low venedig to

    hugs Conny

    ReplyDelete