Sunday, 18 December 2011

Handmade Christmas


Note to self: crocheting an alpaca/wool blanket in the summer is a bad idea ... it is very hot work!

This was my 3rd year of making Christmas presents.  However I decided not to make all the presents this year (work gets in the way!) and opted for just 3 crochet projects.

The blanket above was for one of my sisters-in-law and it may be the one and only blanket I ever make ...!   According to my project file on Ravelry this took just over a month to finish working on it for several hours each day.  Generally I prefer much quicker projects than this!!

I really didn't plan well as the other 2 crochet projects also took a long time:



I made this shawl in a lace weight alpaca / silk mix for my mother-in-law.  The pattern is Brise d'Été (summer breeze) by Éclat du Soleil.  This was a big project and my first attempt at lace crochet.  I really wasn't very happy with it until I blocked it and then suddenly the pattern came to life.  




For my other sister-in-law I made this scarf in the softest alpaca / cashmere / silk yarn from The Natural Dye Studio ... the pattern is also from them and is called Gigi.  This was the most complicated crochet pattern I've attempted so far (even though it says suitable for beginners!) not least because I had to translate it from UK into US crochet terms, but also because of the wide variety of stitches used.  

Thinking about it, there was one other present I made - or rather compiled - but I don't have a photo of it.  I put together a book of old family photos for my father-in-law which seemed to go down very well.

Next year I'm going to try to remember to plan my presents a little better - sewing is definitely much quicker!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona! You have made wonderful presents! Surely you needed enough time to make them! I hope you have had lovely Christmas time and I wish you Happy New Year! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all - the blanket looks wonderful, that shawl is awesome and the scarf is amazing!! I wouldn't even dream of attempting the scarf pattern - even if it did say it was for beginners! Great work there, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, at this rate we'll have to ditch that "let's not get each other presents" idea because I am getting total crochet and bag envy from reading your blog and seeing what you're making! * gurgle * (the sound of me trying not to go green... and failing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Fiona. No wonder you had a hard time finishing your gifts. They are huge and intricate! I had a hard time finishing simple garter stitch scarves for my nieces. What beautiful gifts you made. I sure hope they realize the cost and time and appreciate them. Totally awesome. All of them.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiona, all three gifts are awesome!!! The lace crochet is amazing... beautiful. It must have taken for ever to make! And I LOVE the pattern and colour of the scarf!!! The pic didn't show on the linky (Mr Linky has problems sometimes), so I relinked. I've linked the wrong pic as I've linked the shawl instead of the scarf. I can relink if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete