Friday, 13 January 2012

2012 BAMCAL: January Blocks

Due to popular demand, here are links to the pattern pages on Ravelry for these blocks.  You need to sign up as a Ravelry member to view these pages but it is free to sign up and these 4 patterns are free.

Clockwise from top left:
Pretty petals by Melinda Miller
16 Circles by Beatriz Medina (I added another round of circles!)
Drop in the Bucket by Janie Herrin
16 petals by Jenn Santa

No sooner than I said I'd probably never crochet another blanket, I happened across the Ravelry 2012 BAMCAL (Block A Month Crochet ALong) group and, before I knew it, I'd clicked 'join'!!  After all, how hard can one block a month be, right?  

Weak-willed .... I know!!  

So, how did one block a month turn into the four blocks you see above?

There's the official 12" block for the month (top left) and the 6" block (top right) for anyone making baby blankets, plus an optional 12" block that we voted on (bottom right) and then someone posted a new design in one of the discussion forums asking for testers (bottom left).  You pick and choose which ones you want to do; some keen people have done multiples of each block.  I'm just doing the ones I like, so some months I may just do one block or even repeat a block that I've already made in another colour combination.

You're probably wondering by now how my 6" and 12" blocks are all roughly the same size (and 8" at that!)! I'm using DK yarn and a 4mm hook, so my blocks were always going to be small and I added some rounds to the 6" block to bring it up to the same size as my others.

By the end of the year I should have improved my crochet skills considerably... I may even be able to dispense with reading my crochet book to work the stitches out at the beginning of every pattern!! And I should have a nice, colourful blanket!


20 comments:

  1. wooow!!!, sind die schön, bin ganz begeistert!!

    liebe Grüße schickt Dir sTraudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! Those popped up in my reader and I think that I drooled. I LOVE your colour combos, and you have stitched beautifully. And you did four! Can't wait to see the rest of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those colours too- your crochet is amazing and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the one on the top right, it's lovely Fiona.

    ps.. Guess who's going to Canada in April x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing, Fiona! I love the flower one in the bottom left. Block a month, eh? I'm wondering if my crochet skills are up to this .... anything beyond a slip stitch, a ch and a dc right now is beyond me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Ady for gatecrashng your comments box (having trouble getting my own)...

      Fiona, those grannies are gorgeous, the patterns are brilliant and the retro colours divine!

      I have been scouring the stores for a new granny book to tackle this year, maybe Ravelry is the place to go.

      xxh

      Delete
  6. I don't think my crochet skills are up to this either, but it sure is going to be fun watching you make this blanket. They are beautiful. Maybe next year I'll be able to follow along.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done any crochet for years and then it was only BASIC squares. I especially love the two bottom ones. One day I would love to do more crochet, but for now, I will enjoy watching you make your blanket.

    I wanted to let you know that I have passed on the Versatile Blogger Award to you. You can read about it here...

    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially love the top right one. Looks kind of like yoyo's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely use of color. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are absolutely gorgeous, the colors are so wonderful together too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I came over from Cindy Bee's blog.

    I LOVE orange and I LOVE, LOVE your choice and variations of these squares. Can't wait to see the finished project.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. like it so much i pinned :)
    http://pinterest.com/pin/140104238378363090/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have or know where I can find patterns for these squares? I am in a group called Join The Love on FB. We put together blankets for families who have recently lost children. These would be great in some of those blankets. Thanks!

    Alison Michalove

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your work! I especially love the bottom left square. But why can't I find it on Ravelry? Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these colors too... I've GOT to get started... I've made to many tunics.... I desperately need a change of venue... Thanks for sharing!!!! Their awesome... ;}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I find the patterns for these squares? I really love the bottom right!! Please advise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added links to the pattern pages on ravelry.com for you! The one you love is called Drop in the Bucket.

      Delete