Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Another City Bag!



One of the very first bag patterns I purchased back in 2009 when I started sewing again was the City Bag from Nicole Mallalieu Designs.  I made 3 bags from it back then, I think, but never one for me ... until now, that is!

This will be my new summer handbag.  I ordered the fabric from a store in Canada, had it delivered via a colleague to Andy on his last trip to Brazil and he brought it back for me!  It is from Dwell Studio's "Eclectic Modern' collection and is called "Bella Porte".  The lining is a gorgeous fleur de lis pattern (blue on white) from Robert Kaufman ... I never take good photos of linings, so I didn't try!  

I love this pattern for many reasons.  Firstly, the bag is a good size and has a zip closure rather than a magnetic snap. Secondly, the design is simple and classic and I think it suits geometric prints very well.  Thirdly, it's actually really quite quick and easy to make!

Now that Nicole has closed her online shop, it's a little bit harder to get her patterns in the northern hemisphere but you can order this one from here.
  

12 comments:

  1. It looks lovely, the fabric really suits the bag and I know what you mean about preferring a zip closure, a magnetic snap just doesn't feel so secure does it?

    I have only tried Nicole's Belle bag pattern before, which I made as a bridesmaid bag for my son's fiancee's bridesmaids, so like you end up making for others what I would like to have for myself!

    Like the sound of quick and easy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bags are soooo COOL ♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona! Your new bag is beautiful! That geometric print is great and the bag looks also practical! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the fabric, Fiona!!! It's stunning!!! The bag's a great shape too. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is I can't BELIEVE you can make this! It is awesome! The shape and fabric just work really well...might have to try making bags next. :)...well, after I tackle the 1000000 other things on my list hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the City Bag - it is such a lovely shape and it's so roomy inside without being big, if you know what I mean. Now I've seen yours, I think I need to make myself another. Your fabric is gorgeous ... also, excellent pattern placement with that vertical going down exactly through the middle of the body. ♥ it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag looks fantastic! That fabric totally suits the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work! I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool...kind of reminds a bit of nautical colors. I like that it's bigger too. And good for you, for making one for yourself!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I should be commenting on your bag but I have that book about Captain Scott by Ranulph Fiennes. I enjoyed it, well I enjoyed what I read - I have to admit I've never finished it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This bag is gorgeous! I want one!

    ReplyDelete