Thursday, 29 March 2012

Postcard from München (Munich)


So, we spent last weekend in Munich with friends.  They live not far from Schloss Nymphenburg and we went for a walk in the park.  It was a beautiful spring day!


This is the Schloss looking from a bridge across the canal.  I have to say it looks more like a French palace than a German one!


We also went for a walk round the city centre.  This is the Rathaus in Marienplatz shortly before (true to form whenever I'm in Munich, or so it would seem) a torrential downpour and thunderstorm.  


So we headed indoors - this is the dome of the Theatinerkirche.  Baroque isn't one of my favourite styles, but the shelter from the rain made me slightly more appreciative!


Munich is home to BMW and we headed for BMW World and the Museum on Sunday.


I'm not a petrol head, but the museum was very well laid out and there was something of interest for everyone.  I liked this 1939 328 (I think!).  Nice lines.

For more photos from my previous grey and wet visit to Munich in summer 2010, click here.  

I'll subject you all to one more photo post from last weekend in the next few days - we visited the concentration camp memorial site at Dachau on our way home and I think that deserves a post of its own.  


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I'm sure some of those places you visited left you very emotional. (the concentration camp) I just don't get meanness, or barbaric actions, in any way or form. I wasn't even mean to my ex-husband and I should have been!!!

    Thanks for sharing. You've visited some awesome places.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I bet Munich is gorgeous! I have never been, but would love to visit one day.
    The Beemer is also gorgeous!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics, Fiona. The BMW museum sounds very interesting - love the vintage BMW. Looks like something out of a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, love the BMW building, definitely making a statement! Shame about the torrential downpour, but at least you had the beautiful spring bit when you were in the castle grounds.

    ReplyDelete