Monday, 2 April 2012

Dachau


"Work sets you free"

Dachau was the only concentration camp that functioned for the full 12 years that the Nazis were in power.  It was the prototype for other camps and was originally used for political prisoners and other misfits.


Looking across the roll call area towards the reconstructed barracks.


This building houses the gas chamber and the crematorium.  
Looks so innocuous, doesn't it?


Entrance to the "showers".


Inside the gas chamber.  

Dachau wasn't technically a death camp.  There is only this one small gas chamber.  Many inmates of the camp were killed through medical experiments or were shot or hanged rather than gassed.


The crematorium adjacent to the gas chamber.


Mass grave.


"In honour of the dead and as a reminder to the living."


Mortal Agony of Christ chapel, built 1960.

During the 1960's many memorial chapels were built at the far end of the site.  In addition to the catholic one above there is a jewish memorial, an evangelical church, a Russian orthodox chapel (see picture below) and, just outside the walls of the camp, a carmelite convent.


About 4,000 Russian prisoners of war were executed in Dachau or one of its satellite camps.


A sculpture designed by a Dachau survivor depicting the never-ending horror of the camp.  This is one of several memorials in front of the main administrative building which is now the museum.

This was my second visit to Dachau.  If you ever visit Munich, Dachau is a short train ride from the city centre and is well worth a few hours of your time.  On my last visit in 2010 I took many similar photos, albeit it was such a grey day - you can read that blog post here.

3 comments:

  1. The world must never forget what happened here so that it can never happen again. I think when my kids are older, I'd like to bring them to Dachau. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed out on a trip to Dachau when I was in Munich two years ago, I only found out about it after the others had already left. This makes me regret missing out even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a discussion with a friend a while ago as to whether we'd visit somewhere like Dachau - I said that if I was ever in the vicinity I'd see how I felt at the time but I think it certainly has a place to ensure, as per Ady's comment, that the world doesn't forget.

    ReplyDelete