Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Postcard from the UK


We're just back from 10 days visiting family in the UK.  This year we drove over for the first time - it's about 1,000 km each way - and managed to stop off in a few places along the way.  Just after we crossed throughout the Channel Tunnel we stopped off at Rye.  It's a beautiful little town and I think the photo above is the only one where the sun was shining!  


The rest of the time it was rather grey and chilly!


Love that wisteria!


A few days later we were much further west at Lyme Regis in Dorset.  A pretty little seaside town on the 'Jurassic Coast', an area where lots of fossils can be found on the beach.  We didn't have time for fossil hunting though!


Bunting everywhere!!


The breakwater in the distance is called the Cobb and is where Meryl Streep stood in that big cloak for the film, "The French Lieutenant's Woman".

The weather was greyer still in Bristol (not the most scenic stop on our trip) but we did fit in a visit to a fantastic National Trust property ... photos to follow soon.  We're happy to be back home to warmer weather!!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, so lovely! And yes, you didn't have great timing on the weather front ;) But Rye and Lyme Regis still look lovely - I keep hearing such good things about the latter, and your picture is definitely making me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow beautiful pictures! I love little seaside towns. Looks gorgeous. Maybe someday I'll go there, now that I'm over being afraid of traveling out of the country. Or am I?!!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me "homesick." I've never been to Bristol, but I love the coast up in Yorkshire...specifically, Bridlington and Sewerby...live there a long time ago.
    I thought you lived in the UK...anyway, gorgeous pics and I'm sure you had a blast visiting!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah... you make me quite nostalgic! I've only ever been to Rye in the dead of a grey, grey winter, and it was still lovely then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, Fiona! Doesn't the wisteria look fabulous against the white buildings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! 1000 km each way .... whew! Long drive!! Glad you're home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty villages! Love the wisteria and bunting and Lyme Regis is just the prettiest seaside village. What a lovely adventure you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorei receber sua visita.
    Lindos lugares e lindas suas fotos.
    Parabéns.
    Um abraço, Rosangela/Brasil.

    ReplyDelete