Friday, 5 October 2012

Parking a Project


This project has driven me to screaming point and is now officially parked.  I thought I'd just quickly do the last two seams today - sewing the lid and base onto the body of this vanity case, but I'm calling it quits after problems with the lid and putting this one at the back of the cupboard.  I will finish it ... eventually.

The frustration today has been getting the piping right.  I have to admit the pattern hasn't helped me in that respect (it's from Lisa Lam's new book), but neither has my zipper foot. A while back I lamented the lack of a piping foot and everyone advised me to use a zipper foot instead.  Well, that would be ideal if my zipper foot didn't place the needle further away than if using a regular foot.  I don't use it for zips either - it's totally useless.  So I need to re-do the seam attaching the lid to the body and then go through the same process for the base.  Just two little seams - should be easy, but it isn't!

And I'm not sure I'll ever be able to tie those two ties at the top into a pretty knot to make a handle ... I think they're too short (they're not tied in the photo - just draped!).

Oh well - off to make something I know will work: mushroom soup!  It's that kind of weather ... damp, grey and cool.

3 comments:

  1. What a frustrating exercise! It is so annoying when patterns aren't quite right and it isn't helped by equipment that isn't quite right either. Maybe you can make something else out of the fabric and zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried that pattern, but I purchased a similar one of Nikki's (link below). It's on my "must make" list one of these days. I wonder if it's any easier than the one you're using? http://nicolemdesign.blogspot.com/2012/06/speaking-of-publishing.html

    Don't give up - I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, what a frustrating project. I have Lisa Lam's book but haven't tried anything out of it yet and this was top of my list! Might have to rethink that.

    ReplyDelete