Thursday, 27 December 2012

Christmas Presents


Well, that's Christmas done and dusted for another year!  It was a quiet one as Andy still hasn't kicked the cold and cough that he brought back from his last business trip and our visitors had to cancel due to family issues too.  C'est la vie!  Suffice it to say that we ate very well indeed and emptied quite a few bottles of very nice wine!

I made this cardigan for my niece in Australia .. it's a Drops pattern and I made it using the specified yarns.  She seemed to really like it, although with 30+ degree heat down there I doubt it will be worn for some months yet.  I don't think any project has ever taken me so long - I started knitting in April and then what with holidays and arm problems, it was only just finished in time to post it at the end of October to avoid the black hole that is the Australian customs department during the Christmas rush!



Contemplating making another one (for me) at some point and my sister says she likes it so much that she's thinking of knitting one too!  This pattern doesn't look like much until it's blocked - as I think I proved in an earlier blog post!!  



My in-laws requested a throw for the foot of their bed and chose the yarn.  The pattern I selected is Greenway by Donna Yacino adapted to the dimensions of a standard double bed.  I've wanted to use this pattern ever since I saw it here on Paula's blog.... it looks completely different in two colours, but I really like the textured effect in a single colour and I'm sure Paula would have approved.  


And this is what it looked like on the end of our bed before I packaged it up and sent it off to the UK!
Life is too short to iron duvet covers ...sorry!!

Those were the only two presents I managed to make this Christmas - it really hasn't been a productive year!

4 comments:

  1. What an adorable cardigan, Fiona, both the colour and the pattern!!! Depending on which part of Australia, your niece may be able to wear the cardigan sooner than you think. It was 36º today, but is MUCH cooler tonight. I'm sitting here with a sweater on. It's been a very mild Summer so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, well done for putting the time and the effort into making gifts! The cardigan looks lovely! Every year I promise myself to make gifts and although I am getting better, I am still long way away from all the hand made gifts I would have liked to make. However my mum and my daughter got lucky this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your makes are beautiful Fiona, and given what you have had to put up with recently I think you did very well to get anything done this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!

    I have had a look at the pattern and I think your single coloured version is much better, simply divine. xh

    ReplyDelete