Thursday, 13 December 2012

Fabric Delivery!


Amy Butler's Lark Range, Dreamer colourway


Valorie Wells' Cocoon range, Emperor colourway


I've been indulging in some online retail therapy at The Cotton Patch!!  Always good and it's quite a while since I bought any fabric or did any sewing.  

The plan is to do some quilting - more specifically to make a sampler quilt and learn how to put together HST's, pin wheels, flying geese, log cabins ....it's a whole new language!!  I have never tried machine quilting and I think it's time I stopped procrastinating (and stalking quilt blogs) and had a go myself.  Hence the arrival of 18 fat quarters! Not yet sure if I'm going to use the two ranges together or not - some of the Cocoon FQs go quite well with the Amy Butler range - and there are some fabrics in my stash that could be a good match.  Of course, I've realised I need a more neutral fabric as well or the quilt will be a bit too busy (oh dear ... more shopping!).

I've got my rotary cutter and spray starch ready ... I just need to wash these fabrics and get a new bulb for my sewing machine so that I can see what I'm doing (the old bulb lasted 27 years and survived countless moves including two trips across the Atlantic ... not bad going!).  Some planning might be in order too - I've got a wonderful book of quilt blocks (The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt) and some instructions on how to construct some of the standard designs from my quilting group plus some handy online tutorials, so I need to think about which blocks to make, what size to make them and get cracking.

I hoping to be able to finish the blocks for my afghan too. I'm many months behind now and haven't so much as picked up my crochet hook in the last month (ongoing problems with my neck / arm and too much work which also explains my absence from this blog).  And I want to get started on some hairpin lace as well (I was given the loom for my birthday, but haven't been able to try it out yet).

Lots of plans ... now to find the time, but it is winter and there's no better time to stay indoors away from all the snow and do some crafting!!  

Did you notice the sunshine in the photos above?  A rare commodity these days!  

Hoping that it's going to warm up a bit this weekend to melt all the snow that's been hanging around for the last ten days or so - it would be nice to get the road clear before the next lot arrives (no snow ploughs or gritters ever come down our road which can make getting to the main road quite interesting!).

4 comments:

  1. Dangerous place that Cotton Patch. My credit cards tremble in fear whenever I enter the shop! LOL!! Lovely selection of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona! Your new fabrics are beautiful and so lovely colours! Thank you for letting know about this English online shop - I guess shipping is more reasonable than from USA.
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona..these are so much your colours..all of those deep turquoises..blue/greens with a lovely shot of tangerine. I look forward to seeing each beautiful square sewn up and displayed. Are you in Switzerland now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have bought Fiona, it will be fun seeing your blocks materialise, but be careful it is addictive!

    ReplyDelete