Friday, 14 December 2012

Test Block


This is the basket weave block (no. 4) from The Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt.  I figured it was a nice easy one to start with and to ensure I knew what I was doing.  

Sadly all is not right with this one ... looks like my 1/4" foot is slightly wider than 1/4'.  Having cut very, very carefully (lots of spray starch and pressing!) and sewed very slowly the block is almost half an inch shy of the intended measurements.

Even if it is too small, it looks good I think.

Off to work out exactly where I have to sew to get a perfect 1/4' seam allowance and mark up my machine accordingly.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure the size will work out better next time with your machine all marked out. The colours worked together beautifully though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a quilter but mt Mil was. She had a 1/4 inch acryluc tool that made it super easy to mark your edges. I think the square is pretty. Turn it into a pillow.

    Cinsy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. The block looks great Fiona, I have trouble with those 1/4inch seams too. My sewing machine has a setting for the 1/4inch might be worth checking to see if yours has too. I also have a 1/4inch foot but I don't use it all the time, maybe I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good Fiona! Here's a good article on getting the perfect 1/4", if it helps you any. http://quiltville.com/quarterinch.shtml
    Love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks pretty good to me Fiona - I only dream of even attempting quilting! This is a good start though, no?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabric and nice design.
    I am still beginner for quilting, and the other day I got Japanese cotton fabric for quilting, when I move back to the states next year, I would love to start quilting also again...(^.^)/"""

    ReplyDelete