Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Bits and Pieces


I treated myself to some craft magazines when we were over in the UK last week.  I think I'll get a lot more use out of Inside Crochet, but it was interesting to finally get my hands on a copy of Mollie Makes and to see what all the fuss is about.


I'm currently going through my box of patterns and my stash to find portable projects to take with me to St. Louis next month.  I think the waistcoat above will be one of the first on my list as I just happen to have some yarn that might work for it.  The other patterns in the book are all very traditional aran cardis and sweaters ... I'll leave those for another time and a different yarn.  The good news is that my osteopath says there is no reason I can't start knitting and crocheting again now!


Other projects that I might take with me include:

- a crocheted silk shawl for me (the silk is gorgeous and I can't wait to make it),
- the last blocks for my crochet afghan (you know, the one that was supposed to be finished in 2012!),
- I've got some sashiko templates ready to play with and an old linen shirt that I'm going to recycle as the background fabric
- and my hairpin lace loom will be going with me along with a stunning Doris Chan pattern that I want to try

That's looking frighteningly like a To Do list, so I'll stop there.  It's quite nice to be able to plan a few projects though after months of doing nothing though!!


On the sewing front, I've been battling with my machine for a while.  It has done really well but it's no longer possible to have it repaired as spare parts are no longer available.  So after 27 years it is being retired and I've just placed the order for its replacement.  Not an easy purchase decision - far too much choice and so many features that I'm just not sure that I want / need / will understand!  All very confusing but I plumped for a mid-range Janome.  Hopefully it will arrive very soon and I'll be able to start getting my head round the controls before I head stateside ... I deliberately bought a model that is also available in the UK so I could download the manual in English (my learning from last year's overlocker purchase!).  

Guess what my bedtime reading is for the next few days?!!

1 comment:

  1. Will be interested to see what you think of Mollie Makes, I am not a fan I have to admit. Too much style over substance for me!

    Delighted to hear you have been given the crafting all-clear.

    ReplyDelete