Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Postcard from St. Louis 3


Fountains in the Grand Basin

It really is a gorgeous day today - very warm and pleasant outside.  The weather has been all over the place since we arrived last month with some days reaching 30 degrees ... but then it cools right down again.  Today is the last good day this week - storms and a cold front are moving in tonight and it's going to be wet and cool.   So, when Andy said he needed to get to the zoo for 08:30 this morning for a meeting, I decided to drive him over there and take a wander round Forest Park.

The park was created in the late 19th century and was the site of the 1904 world fair and summer olympics.  St. Louisans are very proud that Forest Park is bigger than New York's Central Park!!  


The art museum

The park is home to many of St. Louis' attractions - the zoo, the art museum, the science centre and planetarium and Missouri's history museum and entrance to all of them is - unbelievably - free meaning Forest Park is a very popular destination!  It also boasts an open air theatre, plenty of open space for festivals, golf courses, tennis courts and lots of parking.


World Fair Pavilion

And it's not all formal parkland.  


If I can take the summer heat I think I'll be driving up here for many more early morning walks.


Boating lake

Last week our air freight arrived and I was reunited with some of my craft projects.  Progress is slow at the moment, not least because I started knitting a cardigan and decided yesterday to frog it and start over!  There will be some craft progress on this blog soon ... but first we're driving down to Memphis for the weekend;  photos to follow!

4 comments:

  1. What?!! I feel horrible I have been so behind in the blogosphere that I had no idea you are in St. Louis! Wow! I have to catch up on so much! You are now my "neighbor" as I am just down the road a bit in Kansas City! You have to travel here soon! It's much nicer than Memphis! Enjoy your day and St. Louis...your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're settling in there. It sounds like it's going to be a hot summer there though...probably much warmer than Germany. I'm glad the flooding seems to be gone though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your crafty goods have finally arrived! The park looks like a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you have a park close by. And so glad your crafty items have arrived. Too bad about the frogging....

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete