Friday, 29 July 2016

Postcard from Switzerland


SS Vevey on Lac Leman (Lake Geneva)

In June I travelled to Vevey, Switzerland with Andy.  He goes there to work on a regular basis, but I haven't been since 2012 so it was a good time to catch up with friends and see the sights before we went on to the UK to visit family.  Sadly it rained quite a lot during the week I was there, but it was a nice change of scene after my operation.  


I enjoyed walking along the lake shore.  Yes, that is a fork in the water!!!  Nestlé's worldwide headquarters are in Vevey (which is why Andy is there so frequently) and the fork is opposite their food museum, the Alimentarium.


After he was thrown out of the US during the McCarthy era, Charlie Chaplin lived in the hills just above Vevey in a beautiful house which has now opened as a museum:


He lived here until he died in 1977 and is remembered with this statue down by the lake:


Chateau Chillon is one of the main tourist attractions in the region, but in many trips to Vevey I'd never made it, so on one particularly wet morning I got on a bus and took a trip east down the lake shore to visit:

Obviously my kind of castle!!


When I came out the weather had dried up sufficiently to take this snap.  It really is a very good example of a medieval castle (the earliest parts date from 1000 A.D.) but it was overrun with tour buses and was a bit crowded for my liking.


Another great pace that I visited on a very wet day was the Olympic museum in Lausanne.  I snapped this in the grounds on my way in before the heavens opened and I really liked the "no violence' sentiment.  Very interesting museum - shame I didn't get to see the rest of the grounds as there seemed to be quite a lot out there.


From Vevey you can see wonderful views of the Alps.  This is an evening view of the Dents du Midi from my friends' apartment.

Had a lovely time despite the weather!!  Saw lots of friends, did lots of sightseeing and generally had a good time.

Next up will be some snaps from our trip to the UK to visit family before I get back to crafting.  I have some things that I'm working on .... so watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Fiona,
    These pictures look fantastic. I can't imagine going to Switzerland. It had to have been beautiful, even in the rain! That castle....and the alps...and I never knew that about Charlie Chaplin, but then I don't know much about him at all. He sure did have a gorgeous house!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the castle with the wine barrels - beautiful stone work, most probably very old. The fork on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete